Friday, December 9, 2016

November in Review

Another month has come and gone but this month will always, always stand out as one of the best months ever. The highlight of course being that we welcomed our little Evie into our arms and into this world.

This post will reflect on 3 main memories from this November: Evie's birth story, the couple of following weeks and then Thanksgiving.

Birth Story
Let's start with babies. So Evie's due date was the 3rd of November. I NEVER in a million years thought I'd make it to her due date, much less past it. I was dilated, constantly having contractions and all bets even by the doctors was to go early. By the time I finished with work (the Wednesday before Halloween) I had a time set to have a procedure done which would hopefully induce labor. Well clearly it didn't do anything so I had an induction set for the day after my due date. I also never thought I'd be Ok with an induction, WRONG. I was so uncomfortable and so oddly anxious to see this baby. Also my OB was on call that weekend and I really was hoping she could deliver this baby too. We tried to go on Friday morning for my induction (we dropped Ellie off at John's parents the night before) but when I called for the final OK, it turns out the inn was full. No open rooms. Hmmm...OK. I was actually really upset. John took the day off still and we ended up just spending it together which was really nice and needed. Saturday morning roll around, phone call #2 to the hospital. This time its a go!


Fast forward to getting checked in and seeing that I was 2-3 cm already. Oh and as I was being admitted, my water broke. In the end it seems like I would have been coming regardless! HA! My nurse kept asking if I was ready for an epidural. My contractions at that point were still irregular and I had been juuuust given the lowest dose of Pitocin. I wanted to walk to get things started. Side note: Don't forget second labors can go much faster that the first-which was really, really long. I never got to walk. The contractions picked up fast and furious and I was asking, and then pleading for a working epidural. Longish story short the first epidural didn't work and I dilated to 10 cm without pain relief. Now let me say that women all the world round do this and its OK, no problem to them. I wasn't expecting this to be a basically medication free labor so it was needless to say a rough few hours. I screamed, cried and pleaded. The second epidural worked(!!)  plus a fine dose of Stadol before that so I was pretty out of it and super drowsy for about an hour? before the baby was delivered. There were a few other things which happened but the important thing is that a healthy, beautiful baby girl was born just 6 hours or so after my water broke! I was so much more alert during this delivery than with Ellie's. With hers, I had been awake for about 2 days straight so things were kinda blurry but I woke up enough for Evie's to be very aware. But Evie was born quickly, was very alert and nursing well right away.


I said it before and I'll say it again, deliveries while so, so beautiful and sweet are also just as scary and situations are poised to change at any moment. The 20 minutes or so we waited to get Evie out were a little frightening but we were in good hands, well cared for the whole time. I'm so thankful she is here and we are both well! What a blessing.




We went home the next day after a quiet and very nice stay at the hospital. Ahh, now we begin that wonderful postpartum time!


The same bonnet Ellie wore home

John mercifully took a week off so I had help for a few days but then he worked from home part of that week so I was pretty much on my own for the end of his vacation. A nice reality check. JK, it was all fine but for real it's amazing the time split just by adding in a newborn and still recovering a bit.  My parents came for a week the Friday after Evie was born and stayed for a week to spend time with grandbabies and to help me out as well. THANKS! By the time my parents got here, I basically had a laundry list of some little "to-dos". Hey, I mean, ready and willing? Sure I'll put you to work! The biggest thing on my list was this large, wooden hap hazard playset in our backyard which needed to be torn down. Once I realized this playset was beyond repair back in April, I had it on my hit list. My dad had a plan to get rid of it and he and my mom set to work over a day and a half. The end result? IT'S GONE!! yay!! (That's a lot of work! chainsaw to pieces, drag to trailer-must be acquired first- and haul to dump which is 20 minutes away in 2 trips-whew).  Also per my request, my dad made a beautiful chalkboard to hang in our dining area, so that was fixed up and then there was lots of cooking, shopping and entertaining children during this time. We were really thankful, esp. since I was still feeling pretty bad for most of that week. It was nice to have the help.


 
As close as Ellie would get to holding Evie lol


John's sister Holly got married to Jonathan on the weekend of the 19th! It was a beautiful, intimate ceremony. We walked into it right on time, which was nice you know since John had to walk his mom down the aisle! The kids were great-Ellie danced the entire night-, the food was awesome and the couple beautiful and happy.


The following Thursday on Thanksgiving, we left for our first road trip as a family of 4 to NC. We left quite early and the trip was not bad at all. A couple of extra stops to nurse a baby and for everyone to go to the restroom and done! Ellie is a great car rider and entertains herself well plus a few toys/activities I bring, snacks and books. Though she is banned from crayons in the carseat for a while...We had of course a wonderful meal with my family (I was honestly sad when it was over! I could eat that food all year round.) and we got to see lots of family which was the best part. Little Evie and Ellie were loved on by many! We stayed through Sunday and took a 10 hour trip home to SC (craziness!) but importantly we made it back safely.







 And some DIY newborn photos just for fun...


Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

That's about all for now! See you next month ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment