Monday, October 17, 2016

Home Tour, Part 2

Welcome back for the second leg of the tour. Hope everyone has had a fine Monday or weekend at least...I was supposed to work this weekend but did not due to low patient census and what seemed like constant contractions and overall weariness. Anyway, today was a good day and yes I'm still pregnant. No babies yet...

So like I had said, the second part will entail the upstairs. First up, the toy room/guest room/multi-purpose functional room. I had grand plans for a room like this-often called the "bonus room". It was simply "upstairs" at our old house and the most under used space because it was where the dogs stayed so often and the temperature was sometimes hard to control. I always said though, if we stayed longer in our first home (we lived there for 5 years) that bonus room was going to be re evaluated for function. Not just a dog- a clean, organized one of course!/TV room.  Anywho, this multipurpose room is the bees knees. It's spacious, separated  and has a barn door type deal so you can close kids off but check on them by peeping over the stairs. AND No dogs are allowed upstairs ( our 2 bigger dogs are still inside). Like ever. I had to banish them from part (half) of the house cause I need my space. white carpet and dog hair are a no go.

This room is half  a dedicated guest room space if needed and the other half is a "toy" room as Ellie calls it. Not too many little kid things, not too many adult things but just a nice mix of the two. We use the bed as a sitting area for movies sometimes and the couch was recently added from our 3rd floor as extra seating. Thank goodness for it. Ellie adores this room so much. She has free range to all her stuff and we can all just hang out together. The closet holds most toys but thanks to a birthday gift of a toy chest to Ellie we can display some too. My talented father crafted a beautiful chalkboard AND table for kids too. (I believe some matching benches will be coming!) Totally spoiled but his work is better than what money can buy and no splinters in sight.





Up the steps further is a loft area (my claim as a space since it has all my little things here including my desk which has been my friend since college and wall art from days past). Its a nice sitting space but I think it could be more functional too? Don't know but it's pretty so there's that.




2 other little spaces are...the laundry room and a bathroom. The laundry room is also partly a supply room for light DIY stuff and present wrapping/messy project doings. I painted the countertop gray (it was teal) and switched out the hardware (it was gold). The difference is big and just fine.



The bathroom was also painted in January with my mom's help (it was like aqua blue) and john switched out a hideous sprayer that was in the tub. I replaced the mirror recently and hung some new art work.



Ellie's big girl room was done in June after we got back from a trip to AL and John and I powered through it in a weekend. I tried to decorate in a way in which Ellie would actually like it and could grow with her a bit. So the walls were painted mint green which she loves and we brought in the bunk beds the previous owners gave us (thanks!). She also got an antique dresser (Johns hates antiques lol),some woodland art work for the wall and of course bedding.  I tried to think of simple things Ellie likes and went with it: the color green (also blue but blue walls weren't happening-sorry kid), books and animals in general. Also loves Minnie mouse, Frozen and most things Disney but that's a little harder to sneak in...Some things from the nursery stayed too like her toy chest which was mine as a child and some artwork from a baby shower and things I made her.



The baby's nursery was done in August after summer vacation and probably not a moment too soon because it was not easy even at that point to paint and climb around even with John's help of course. The nursery had been a hold room for baby and random stuff since we moved in and after we finished Ellie's room it was a hot mess of furniture. Both of the kid rooms were painted a pale creamish yellow beforehand. I decided (after a while of debating) to have her room be mostly coral pink and gray with some gold and white here and there. I wanted it be a little brighter and playful. Ellie's nursery was very "lady like" with light lavender walls and dainty touches which was lovely but you know, new baby new style.
I added in pinwheel accents for fun and really love how it all turned out. Of course baby got Ellie's old nursery furniture (all second hand!) but we did purchase a new rocker and OMG its already worth it. But besides that and new crib sheets, its all hand me down and things I made for her/or repainted for her space.






The last part of the house to mention is the "bonus room/John's space/movie room, etc.etc." I didn't take pictures because it's technically on the 3rd floor (thought its the only room up there) and people I'm 9 months pregnant so no way and its partly a holding space for extra baby items at the moment. Just picture a big TV, 2 recliners and Clemson décor and there you go...You're not missing out but it is a fun space when you've got the time...and energy.

So that's our home mostly and I hope/look forward to the day when more family can come visit and hang out. We are looking forward to hopefully many a good years here and raising our family in this space.

Also sorry for the lack of pictures from the front on the house but you know privacy stuff...I'd rather just stick to mostly indoors. We will be back to regularly scheduled programming after this though, and hopefully some baby pictures sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment