Monday, June 12, 2017

A little spring decorating...

This post could also be labeled as "if you can dream it, my dad can built it". Truth. While some of this post does relate to my own cycle of continuously rearranging and redecorating, it has just as much to do with me showing off my dad's woodworking skills.

Remember when I posted my home tours from October? I think I even pulled some line like... the house is mostly the way I want it! Yes kinda true. But! I carried on with some new ideas this spring which I was eager to see through completion after we saw the whirlwind of newborn-ness and the holidays change to more content baby days and a new year! Needless to say I'm so happy with how it looks. How one's home "looks" or presents itself is not the most important thing by any means but its OK also to enjoy seeing pretty things in your own space and making it a cozy place for your family.

I'll start with the outside space. A cleaned and stained deck and fresh potted and planted flowers.



Here enters some of my dad's work! Our outside love seat! This couch is so great out here. We needed more seating and something comfortable so we got just that.
 

My dad helped me replace our old closet light fixture. We had a huge florescent light here and I was ready for it to go on day 1 of owning this house. After I took this picture I told John he had to move his bags at the top of the closet...OCD for life!!


Back in December, we got our Christmas gift from my parents: a new kitchen table with benches. Enough room for everyone!
 


I also decided to do something I've wanted to do since day 1 in our home and that was to paint the kitchen. It's the same color as the dining room and looks so much better. We also switched out the hardware for brushed nickel.



Our powder room. This one was by far the most time consuming but it turned out beautifully. I thought the bathroom too plain (so dramatic) but loved a certain ocean blue in bathrooms. Well I didn't want to just add dark paint in a small space so the board and batton idea came up as a way to break up the paint. We had previously changed out the light fixture to something more fitting of the space.



As some of you know, our living room shelves are insanely tall and at point I said I'm not worried about the top half! You have a have a much taller ladder to even reach them. Well apparently the time came to finally decorate them a little so I bought some (many) books from Habit for Humanity and turned them spine out so they all blend in. My dad made several bookends to hold them up as they previously kept crashing over. Not convenient to fix! But now they are all good. For the other shelves, I got a bouquet of wool ball flowers in put them in jars. Done. Now the top half of the shelves (which I never plan to touch again in the near future) are consistent looking and give the living room a more cozy atmosphere. Also a new wooden frame to rest on the mantel! Thanks dad! 



Also in the living room? My new cart! Yes.. my dad made it complete with galvanized shelves per my request!



In the playroom I added a rug under their table which helped with the overall layout of the room and hung some "new" wall art. These fairy tale prints are from a storybook I had from childhood.



Last but not least, is my little nook on the loft upstairs. I was at a lost for what else to do here (I had my desk set up in front of the windows since day one but that was it) but I finally got it. Cozy chair, side table, repainted lamp and open shelves all make for a nice reading nook. The chair is new but all else is recycled from what we had. My dad helped me cut and hang the shelves. I tell ya, natural wood is just so beautiful. After all these products, mostly all I like to see is stained wood. It's just lovely.  Anyway, with fresh flowers from our yard an knick knacks from my travels, I'd say this space is good to go. Happy reading and relaxing!


No comments:

Post a Comment